At the start of the new year I set some goals, as one does. They weren’t goals about big things I would do, rather they were about who I was going to be.
Healthy. Undistracted. Constant. Prayerful. Trusting. Intentional. Humble. Relaxed. I loved them more than any goals I’d ever set for myself.
Then the other day, I remembered about them. Six months later.
I’d done all that work formulating thoughtful goals over a span of a couple weeks and then I’d forgotten I even made them. I hadn’t been working toward them in purposeful ways like I’d hoped.
Life has been nuts. But I guess it’s always nuts.
Every once in a while, my list would pop into my mind, but I wasn’t motivated enough to peek back at them. I guess I thought the goals would just meet themselves and I would be a new woman as a result.
I truly meant the words I wrote down those months ago. I really wanted the life that was in my grasp should I make a few simple changes. I wasn’t expecting perfection from myself. Instead, I made the goals to remind myself of where I wanted to go with lots of grace along the way. The problem is I never started.
I’d expect after reading this far, you’re curious what my goals are. Actually, I’d love to share them with you.
- Wake up before the family and keep a morning routine for myself before they come down for breakfast.
- Say NO to distraction and procrastination and follow through with what’s most important to me.
- Relax by reading, investing in people, and working on projects rather than browsing social media.
- Exercise for health and in a way I enjoy each week.
- Engage in a vibrant and God-honoring prayer life.
- Practice humility instead of believing a puffed up and false view of myself.
- Have intentional and thorough times of Bible study. To grow and learn, not collect knowledge.
- Keep my thoughts steady and true when thinking about myself, others, and situations.
- Give the best of myself to my family through: love, sacrifice, kindness, and time.
- Rest in God’s path and plan for our family, housing, and work.
I don’t have big solutions here for meeting the goals we set. I just know some of you are in the same place.
We want changes to be made so badly, but the doing part seems like the most painful thing in the world. But is it really? What if we did the next, smallest thing that would get us going?
What differences could a few simple tweaks make for us?
I worked on several of these without even thinking about it these last few months. Simply because my heart is naturally drawn right now toward improvement in these areas. But it was so haphazard, that I’m pretty much in the same place with the very things I was desperate to change in myself.
So do you know what we decided? We decided togetherness, community, and accountability would help.
Do you know what else? We decided we wanted to work toward our desires for our lives with you.
Starting now, we’d love to have you join Anne-Renee and I for this last half of 2017 in a private Facebook group we’re calling Let’s Talk Goals 2017. Does that excite you like it does us? If so, click right HERE to request to join the group.
If you’re curious, the group will be Closed. Meaning Facebook users can see the name of the group and the members of the group, but only members can see the posts. We will probably then set the group to Secret once all members have joined. We will not be adding new members after next Wednesday, June 28th so as to create a predictable and cozy environment for everyone.
Let’s Talk Goals will be easy-going, forgiving, and welcoming. All you need to do is come with some idea of where you want to be and the willingness to be open with a small group of fellow moms about it. Sound good? GREAT. If the group is no longer serving you, you can leave the group at any time.
With all that said, we’ll be seeing you over on Facebook! Feel free to invite your friends by sharing this post with them either personally via email or text or on social media. You can use this link: http://wp.me/p4BFzl-1v4
If you aren’t already a part of our community on Facebook, you can join us right HERE on The Masterpiece Mom page.
Let’s start living life a little more intentionally. Together.
Latest posts by Amanda Bacon (see all)
- Loving Your Child’s Personality Even When It’s Hard - October 10, 2017
- Our Children’s Well-Being Doesn’t Ultimately Hinge on Us - September 25, 2017
- The Times Our Influence Does More Harm Than Good - September 5, 2017